« News Roundup - Taj Majal in 3D, KML as Open Standard, Katrina Imagery, New AIA150 Tour | Main | Microsoft's Virtual Earth 3D - Video Demos »

9 de Mayo 2007

Google Earth 4.1 (beta) Released! SpaceNavigator for the Mac!

[UPDATED 1050 ET]

Lost location in Google EarthI had been hearing a new version Google Earth was due soon. I knew this would be an important release to a lot of Mac users, because it would enable you to use your SpaceNavigator with Google Earth on the Mac! I've just gone to the Google Earth download page and installed Google Earth 4.1.7076.4458 (beta) for Windows, and the same version number for the Mac. The windows version file name is: Google_Earth_BZXD.exe. Again, here is the download page for the latest version.

Here is what is new in GE 4.1:

• SpaceNavigator for the Mac - I installed the application, plugged in my SpaceNavigator, and it now works on GE 4.1! Yay! See my original review of the SpaceNavigator and a YouTube demo using it. The SpaceNavigator is a 3D Mouse device which lets you control GE like never before. Note: if you are just getting a SpaceNavigator for the Mac for the first time, you will need to install the driver first - available here.

• Tips - when you first open Google Earth 4.1 you get a "Tips" window which shows suggestions of things you can try, or instructions of how to use some feature in GE. See the screenshot. I think this is a handy way to help people learn about cool things you can do with GE. And, you can turn it off if you don't want it. Also, you can bring up the window any time through the "Help -> Start up tips" menu option. Nice addition!

• Starting Location - there is a new starting location added to your "My Places". I'm told by Google you get a different starting location depending on what country version of Google Earth you use. For me, I get a placemark for Lawrence, Kansas.

• View in Maps - this is a LONG-awaited new feature. At the top of Google Earth, where the tool icons appear, you see a new icon at the right which looks like a "map" - this button enables the new "View in Google Maps" option. When you click on it, it opens your browser window and shows you the same view in Google Maps. Finally, simple button interface to Google Maps from within GE! One difference is that Google Maps is always oriented north up, and you can't zoom as close as in GE. But, otherwise the new view button works perfect.

• New Installation Process - The installer for this version of Google Earth is MSI-based which enhances site-wide installations.

• New Language Versions - Google Earth 4.1 now has support for the following NEW languages: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Polish, Korean, Arabic, and Czech

I'm sure there are a few minor bugs and enhancements in the mix as well. Stefan Geens at OgleEarth heard about the file reaching the public earlier today... thanks for the tip!

Enviado por FrankTaylor at 9 de Mayo 2007 a las 08:55 AM

• Google Earth Blog © 2005, 2006, 2007 Copyright de Frank Taylor. Todos los Derechos Reservados.
  • Todas las imágenes de Google Earth capturadas de pantalla son Copyright de Google

• Comentarios

thnx guys for the heads up;-)

Enviado por: smokeonit at 9 de Mayo 2007 a las 09:37 AM

Starting Location: If you had a "default" placemark (that took you to a starting location when you started GE), it will be converted to "Starting Location" by this new version of GE.

I had my "default" down in a branch and now it's gone, while "Starting Location" is under the root of "My Places" and takes me to the same place that "default" did. So, I'm assuming that this version renames and moves the "default" icon.

No big deal. It's good that they gave this special placemark a better name than "default".

Ernie

Enviado por: ernie at 9 de Mayo 2007 a las 11:43 AM

I bet includes new high-resolution areas! ;)

Enviado por: Canoro at 9 de Mayo 2007 a las 01:40 PM

There is a new Driver for Space Navigator Mac that goes with the new version of Google earth

3DxMacWarePE 1.2.0 US East Coast US West Coast Europe Size (kbytes) Date
    3dxwaremacPE-v1_2_0.dmg download download download 19,509 05/09/2007
    Comments

This update includes support for Photoshop CS3 and CS2 and the settings for Google Earth for Mac.

Enviado por: Randolph Lee at 9 de Mayo 2007 a las 11:59 PM

Does not work for Australia it tries to go to maps.google.au instead of maps.google.com.au

Enviado por: Terb at 10 de Mayo 2007 a las 06:05 AM

Hi Terb - I had the same problem.

"maps.google.au" DOES NOT EXIST.

BUT this does...
    maps.google.com.au

So I found the ip for maps.google.com.au = 66.249.93.104, and put the
    following line into my "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file...

66.249.93.104 maps.google.au

Now the search works! It's a patch job, but it should hold until
    Google FIX THIS BUG!

Enviado por: Jonathan at 14 de Mayo 2007 a las 12:12 AM

The image rendering quality has diminished quite a lot, especially towards the horizon.
    Enough reason for me to prefer version 4.0!

Enviado por: Peter de Bruin at 20 de Mayo 2007 a las 10:58 AM

Peter, check your "Tools->Options->3D View" options for "Anisotropic Filtering". It should be set to "Medium" or "High" if your graphics card supports it. That is what effects detail level when the view is tilted towards the horizon.

GE 4.1 (Beta) is just as good at rendering these scenes as 4.0.

Enviado por: Frank Taylor at 20 de Mayo 2007 a las 07:40 PM

Anisotropic filtering was set to "High", but it did not function on my GForce 6200, until I enabled "Safe mode" in GE4.1. With GE4.0 I had no problem.
    After this, image sharpness was still sub-optimal, till after a /lot/ of experimenting with video settings it improved.
    Haven't been able to figure out what setting or action caused this.
    I'm using driver 93.71, the latest for this video card, and tried older drivers as well.

Enviado por: Peter de Bruin at 23 de Mayo 2007 a las 04:00 PM

Envíe un Comentario:

NOTA: Use español o Inglés. Los Comentarios son revisados previa publicación.

Recordarme?