« New Google Earth Layers for April: Darfur, Trimble, and more | Main | 100% Pure New Zealand Layer in Google Earth »

11 de Abril 2007

Crisis in Darfur - The Google Effect

Crisis in Darfur on Google Earth

The new Crisis in Darfur layer, which was pushed out into Google Earth on Monday night (as first reported here), was formally announced on Tuesday in Washington, DC by the US Holocaust Memorial Museum and Google. Google has featured this layer as a new default layer (turned on when you first bring up Google Earth). The news of the new layer was picked up by major media sources all around the world (see a media summary - with links - of major news stories at OgleEarth). Over the coming days and weeks, the millions of people who have Google Earth installed will start up the application and discover the new layer. Even more attention and learning about this tragedy will occur.

A version of this layer was first released back in February. Since February, an enormous amount of effort from people all over the world - who specialize in GIS and Google Earth content - was put forth to greatly enhance the Crisis in Darfur layer before it was released this week (see the credits at the end of this page). When the layer was released in February, it did not get much media attention. Although its truly a much better layer now than in February, it isn't the quality of the layer which has captured the attention. It's the fact Google got behind the layer, made it a layer turned on by default in GE - and joined USHMM in their press announcement. Now, it suddenly it gets major attention. In my opinion, if you have super-power brand name recognition, and an innovative application of information dissemination (Google Earth), then helping elevate attention to a crisis like the one in Darfur is a very good thing. My congratulations go to the team of people and organizations who helped create the Crisis in Darfur layer. But, my hat is off to Google for using their marketing power for good.

Enviado por FrankTaylor at 11 de Abril 2007 a las 07:38 AM

• Google Earth Blog © 2005, 2006, 2007 Copyright de Frank Taylor. Todos los Derechos Reservados.
  • Todas las imágenes de Google Earth capturadas de pantalla son Copyright de Google

• Comentarios

Thanks for the great coverage of the Crisis in Darfur launch!

Just to correct something, the AAAS project from February is not connected to Crisis in Darfur. We advised on their project as they have done for the Museum's, but ours is not an "enhanced" version- in fact there is no AAAS content in the layers.

AAAS has been releasing Google Earth versions of their imagery products and analysis (Darfur, along with Zimbabwe, Lebanon and other places) for some time:

Thanks again for your excellent posts- Michael Graham

Enviado por: Michael at 11 de Abril 2007 a las 12:15 PM

I commend Google Earth for posting Dafur. People should see what has been happening to our planet and make people think on what we should do about it.

Enviado por: Jose Mari Imperial at 12 de Abril 2007 a las 01:03 PM

I don't think Google should use GE for political propaganda. More exactly, of course GE is a perfectly legitimate tool for implementation of political propaganda _by third parties_, but Google itself should not issue such propaganda overlays. I have now (at last) managed to turn Darfur off; but I note that it doesn't seem possible to eliminate it entirely, and I resent this.

Enviado por: Thomas Goodey at 16 de Abril 2007 a las 08:50 AM

HERE HERE.... I agree with Thomas. I've spent the last 2 days trying to REMOVE DARFUR LEGEND!By the way, how DID you TURN IT OFF? I've even gone so far as to remove GE and ALL OF ITS FILES, and yet.... when I downloaded it again,a 'LIKE NEW' install...P.S. I STILL HAVE THAT &$# SIDEBAR COVERING the entire left side of my screen! Thus is just NOT COOL!!!!

PLEASE... Does ANYONE know how to remove IT??
    THIS IS JUST REDICULOUS!

S.O.S.

Enviado por: XS at 17 de Abril 2007 a las 02:38 PM

XS, I can help you solve your problem. What you are seeing is the legend which is part of the "Download more information" option when you view the "Crisis in Darfur" layer. When it loaded, it was put into your "Temporary Places" under the Places pane. When you exited Google Earth, it would have prompted you to save unsaved placemarks. If you say "Yes", it saves the things in your "Temporary Places" into your
    "My Places" folder under the "Places" pane.

To make it turn off, you have two choices - First find the "Crisis in Darfur" folder under your
    "My Places" - either scan for it yourself, or hit
    "Ctrl-F" and search for "Crisis", then 1) Turn off the folder; or 2) Delete the folder if you don't want to keep it around (hit the "Delete
    key, or select the Right Mouse Button to get a menu on the folder and then select "Delete".

Enviado por: Frank Taylor at 17 de Abril 2007 a las 06:27 PM

At LAST...
    Thank you so much Frank!

You ROCK!

Enviado por: xs at 18 de Abril 2007 a las 12:24 PM

President Bush commented today at the U.S. Holocaust Museum on this layer:

This museum cannot stop the violence. But through your good work, you're making it impossible for the world to turn a blind eye. Earlier I saw an exhibit that puts faces on the millions of men, women, and children who have been killed or driven into the desert. I also saw an interesting new venture that you've arranged with Google Earth. As a result of this partnership, millions of Internet users around the world will be able to zoom in and see satellite images of the burnt-out villages and mosques and schools. No one who sees these pictures can doubt that genocide is the only word for what is happening in Darfur -- and that we have a moral obligation to stop it.

Enviado por: Ian at 18 de Abril 2007 a las 05:18 PM

Big thanks to Frank for telling how you got that Crisis in Darfur legend go away. It was getting on my nerves too!

Enviado por: Robin at 22 de Mayo 2007 a las 05:01 AM

Envíe un Comentario:

NOTA: Use español o Inglés. Los Comentarios son revisados previa publicación.

Recordarme?