« Notes on First Day at Where 2.0 | Main | Google Earth V4 Supports Collada - Open Standard for 3D Models »

14 de Junio 2006

Picasa Web Album - Geotag Photos Using Google Earth!

O'reilly Where 2.0 ConferenceLast night Google released Picasa Web Album. Here's the official Google announcement. Not only does Picasa Web Album let you upload and share your photos on Google servers, but more importantly this version of Picasa lets you GEOTAG your photos with Google Earth! (NOTE: you have to sign up for the limited test, see below). You just find the place where you took your photo by looking at the aerial photos in GE (using search, the mouse, etc.), position where you took the photo and click to finish your geotag. Once your photos are geotagged, they are marked with a little geotag icon in your Picasa library so you know which ones you've already marked. In addition, the photos you upload to the Picasa Web Album are tagged as well. I haven't seen this yet, but you also get a network link so you can view where your photos were taken in Google Earth and then look at the photos with the placemarks! This is like the old Flickr geoblogger network link on steroids and built in to two of the best Google applications out there: Google Picasa and Google Earth! Amazing! Apparently this is a limited test, go to this page to sign up. I also think you will need Google Earth V4 (beta) to use the new feature (but, I'm not sure). Download Google Earth V4 here. Click the link below to get Picasa.

[EDIT 11:07PM: Stefan at Ogle Earth has posted an excellent blog entry showing how the new Google Earth geotagging feature with Picassa works. Check it out!]

Enviado por FrankTaylor at 14 de Junio 2006 a las 09:41 AM

• Google Earth Blog © 2005, 2006, 2007 Copyright de Frank Taylor. Todos los Derechos Reservados.
  • Todas las imágenes de Google Earth capturadas de pantalla son Copyright de Google

• Comentarios

I'm testing this feature. It's amazing!.

Geotag is introduced in EXIF picture information, so can we use in other programs.

Windows Shell show the option of open pictures with GE (I have 4 Beta), too.

There some bug in some options, but works.

Enviado por: Marc B. at 14 de Junio 2006 a las 03:13 PM

Just to let you know - you don't need Google Earth V4 - just update the stable version and you are rolling!

Enviado por: Morten Bek at 15 de Junio 2006 a las 01:18 AM

I can confirm, because I did it this morning, that you do not need Google Earth V4 Beta for geotagging with the new Picasa. Google Earth does keep telling you that it will be reloading the picasa kml file, but accept that dialogue (and you can tell it not to ask you again) and it all works marvellously.

Enviado por: Derek at 15 de Junio 2006 a las 11:09 AM

Is there a way to edit the EXIF Picasa put in the picture, without using GE? Can I geotag the pictures directly by editing the tag?

Enviado por: Roni Segoly at 17 de Junio 2006 a las 07:57 PM

Looks like picasa/google earth is insterting the GPS info into the EXIF header at offset 1716. This corrupts some of the Vendor Original Information in the EXIF data for my Nikon camera.

Roni - google "Exif editor"

Enviado por: gulfstreme at 20 de Junio 2006 a las 03:15 AM

(August 2006) Seems the signup page is no longer working. I had received a confirmation email a month ago, but through it out thinking I was done testing. Anyone know how to get it going again?

Enviado por: sugarsmax at 5 de Agosto 2006 a las 08:24 PM

Enviado por: Sean watson at 10 de Agosto 2006 a las 07:14 AM

I'm interested in Roni's comment about the picasa georef exif header corrupting some of the original exif data. Has anyone else had this problem with other vendors such as Canon?

Enviado por: mj at 11 de Agosto 2006 a las 05:38 PM

I can't upload pictures with picasa to my web album, the programme don't response. Why ?

Enviado por: Jean at 17 de Diciembre 2006 a las 06:14 AM

Envíe un Comentario:

NOTA: Use español o Inglés. Los Comentarios son revisados previa publicación.

Recordarme?